A New Perspective on Teaching

I love to write and a couple years ago I wrote a poem to share the feelings many teachers share.  Read this poem from start to finish and see if you've ever felt this way...



A New Perspective on Teaching

Teachers can make a difference
Is a lie
That I am better off doing something else
Is my creed
Caring about students and their education
Is a complete waste of my time
Fretting over things I cannot control
Is my way of dealing with adversity
A spirit of hard work and determination
Will not help me accomplish anything
The haters and naysayers
Determine my fortune
My tenacity and persistence
Will not lead to success
Negativity and apathy
Cannot be conquered
I am convinced that I
Have no place in teaching
Defeat, surrender, and despair
Will be my game plan
Holding on to hope
Is the wrong philosophy
Teachers cannot make a difference



If we are completely honest with ourselves we would say that we have all felt this way from time to time. It's all right to be disappointed and disenchanted with our profession sometimes. However, when you wallow in pity you are making a conscious decision to do so. If you can make a conscious decision to wallow in pity you can also make a conscious decision to wallow in positivity. If you just change your approach to teaching and gain a different perspective you will find that you can take negative circumstances and turn them into a positive experience. To prove this, I want you to read the poem again. This time I want you to change your perspective and read each line in reverse order, starting at the bottom. I'll wait here...


...It's much different that way, isn't it? It contains the same exact words but by simply changing your approach you change the meaning and tone entirely. So when your find yourself disappointed with the teaching profession and you find yourself on a one-way trip to Pity City, make a conscious decision that you will turn it into a positive situation and you will choose to read the poem backward. Use your time wisely and make the decision to focus on extraordinary things because there's "No Room 4 Ordinary"


If you agree, disagree, love, or hate what I write please drop me a line at noroom4ordinary@gmail.com and follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/NoRoom4Ordinary.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Room 4 Ordinary

My ABC's of Teaching